Dedication to my fictional crush (jk) / book review Breakable

Gosh, such a long title. - Yes, it's true, in this article I am going to give you a book review! Not many people know I actually love lo...

Gosh, such a long title. - Yes, it's true, in this article I am going to give you a book review! Not many people know I actually love love love reading. It's just that I never take the time to actually grab a book and read. When I'm on vacation though, I easily finish a book a day.

When I was in Italy last year, I read this book called 'Easy', written by Tammara Webber (in Dutch it's called 'Makkelijk'). I immediately loved the story, the characters in the story and how the story was written/told. You might be curious what this 'oh so lovely' book is about, so I searched for a summary of the book (yes, way too lazy to write a summary myself):
''When Jacqueline follows her longtime boyfriend to the college of his choice, the last thing she expects is a break-up. After two weeks in shock, she wakes up to her new reality: she’s single, attending a state university instead of a music conservatory, ignored by her former circle of friends, stalked by her ex’s frat brother, and failing a class for the first time in her life.

Her econ professor gives her an email address for Landon, the class tutor, who shows her that she’s still the same intelligent girl she’s always been. As Jacqueline becomes interested in more from her tutor than a better grade, his teasing responses make the feeling seem mutual. There’s just one problem—their only interactions are through email.

Meanwhile, a guy in her econ class proves his worth the first night she meets him. Nothing like her popular ex or her brainy tutor, Lucas sits on the back row, sketching in a notebook and staring at her. At a downtown club, he disappears after several dances that leave her on fire. When he asks if he can sketch her, alone in her room, she agrees—hoping for more.

Then Jacqueline discovers a withheld connection between her supportive tutor and her seductive classmate, her ex comes back into the picture, and her stalker escalates his attention by spreading rumors that they’ve hooked up. Suddenly appearances are everything, and knowing who to trust is anything but easy.'' (source)
 




I liked this book so much, I decided to read it again when I was in Turkey last summer, this time in English. And then I started on reading 'Breakable'. Actually, this book tells the exact same story as Easy, but then from the guy's perspective, also known as Lucas Maxfield. And to me, that's what makes Breakable so great. As where I didn't like Jacqueline's character so much (a little boring and superficial), I loved Lucas' character and his story. It's like the author of these books took a look inside my head to find out what my dream guy would look/be like and then started writing the books; Lucas would be the perfect boyfriend for me. He's a typical bad boy (weed, lots of alcohol and other bad stuff), but knows his responsibilities and has a 'deep soul'(?). Still, he is very down to earth. You would expect him to be cold, harsh and mean maybe, when you start reading either one of the books, but the more you read, the more you find out how sweet and caring Lucas is. Especially towards Jacqueline, whom he - of course - falls in love with. And I find it fascinating to read about a (be it fictional) boy's thoughts when he's in love. So cute. Also, I've fallen a bit in love with Lucas' described appearance: dark hair, grey blue eyes, muscular, tattooed, pierced, sometimes wearing glasses, cool clothing style (read: combat boots and lumberjack shirts), casual haircut... (I'm drooling by now, lol). Of course, Lucas' appearance is idealised by my very own self, but still, Tammara Webber did a pretty good job on creating my 'perfect' boyfriend. Too bad he's only a fictional character, hahaha. 

Okay, back to the story. Breakable tells you about Lucas' perspective on what happens with Jacqueline and how the two meet each other. This book also tells about his childhood, the relationship with his father, his friends, his first love, his experience with drugs and alcohol and about something very mind blowing I won't tell you about, because then I'll totally ruin the plot of the story and I think you definitely should read the book yourself. It will definitely shock you. 

By the way, if you want to read Breakable, but haven't read or aren't interested in reading Easy, it's not a problem at all. You don't need to read Easy before you can understand Breakable. On the internet (source) I found the following explanation: ''Breakable is a whole story, but this one focuses on the male character. Easyis Jacqueline’s story and not just a romance but a tale of sisterhood. Breakable, on the other hand, is the story of how one boy turned into a man and his rocky path to responsible adulthood.''

You can actually read both of the books in two ways, by focussing more on the characters' stories or focussing more on the developing love story. Both stories are really good (not even mentioning the very well written love making scenes (very weird to be sharing this, but I won't lie: it could be a definite turn on - aaand I feel like reviewing 50 shades of Grey. Help)). 

I don't know if I'm any good at writing book reviews. The thing is, I'm scared to give away spoilers, so I rather don't tell much about the story. I just want you to really know these books are definitely my favorite books ever and I really recommend both of the books. You can get Easy in Dutch (look for 'Makkelijk'), but Breakable is - unfortunately - not translated in Dutch (yet). But, at least for me, reading in English is actually really nice. 

I hope you liked reading my book review. I hope it's complete enough. Anyway, I'll keep you posted!

Q: what is your most favorite book ever? 

You Might Also Like

0 reacties